Monday, April 12, 2010

Getting Organized to Go Away

It's time for PTA Convention! Last year, I explained in this post that I buy my daughters a little surprise to give them when I get home. (This gave them something to look forward to when they were little and didn't want me to leave. Now it's tradition.) By shopping before I leave, I can be sure to bring them back something (I don't have a lot of time for shopping at Convention) and I can do it without spending a lot of money.

I get organized a few weeks before Convention so I don't spend a lot of money on other things, too. I love diet Coke, and I know I'll want it while I'm away. Rather than spend a fortune in the vending machines, I use coupons for free 20 oz. Coke products that I earn through My Coke Rewards. I redeem them as I shop for other items, then just tuck them away for the trip. When I pack, they'll go in my suitcase.

I also know I'll want something to munch on. Again, rather than spending money in the vending machines, I'll buy a box of granola bars when I'm at Walmart today and bring them with me.

And I'll raid my stash of free samples and bring little tubes of toothpaste, lotion, etc. I keep them all in one place so I can grab what I need when I'm planning a trip.

I'm also sure things will go smoothly at home because everyone knows to look in the Family Binder for party invites, etc. I will leave a list of things going on over the weekend, and my husband and daughters can just check the binder for the details.

What do you do to get organized before you go away?

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using those Coke rewards. I would have never thought of that! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those free 20 oz. Coke coupons! I always keep a few in my purse. That way, when we're out and about and thirsty we can get a free drink. (You can get Coke products just about any place.) It also makes eating at the mall pretty inexpensive, when I happen to be there with my daughters. We grab a drink at Target, using the free coupons, and then get a slice of pizza or share some bourbon chicken.

    ReplyDelete